ARTU Program Incoming Class Welcome Ceremony: Nov. 19, 2013

Álvaro Pelayo

ARTU Executive Director

November 19, 2013, 5:30-5:35pm

Room 199, Cupples I,

Washington U. in St Louis

Welcome.

I'm Álvaro Pelayo, executive director or ARTU, and I'm delighted that you are joining us today in this welcome ceremony. I know that most of you have a busy schedule, and this time of the day is not easy to reserve.

On behalf of co-directors Ron Freiwald and Blake Thornton, and the ARTU executive committee I want to tell you that I am very pleased that you are here. I would like to thank the Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences Barbara Schaal and the Mathematics Department Chair, David Wright, for their continuous guidance, as well as the National Foundation for financially supporting ARTU.

ARTU is made possible thanks to the Foundation's vision and generosity. I would also like to thank the ARTU faculty, the executive committee, and ARTU manager Shar Weber, for their diligent assistance to make ARTU run smoothly.

As most of you already know from our previous meeting in October, or from exploring the ARTU webpage, ARTU stands for Advanced Research Training for Undergraduates. Our goal is to match the brightest undergraduate mathematics students in Washington University with top notch faculty, who supervise the students' research for a period of several semesters and several summers. If you are familiar with REU programs, you can think of ARTU as a long term REU program, where research is developed over a longer period of time, and where students receive exceptionally personal, individualized attention from a faculty Mentor who is a leading researcher in some area of mathematics or statistics.

ARTU is a program which intends to build on the great benefits of summer research programs currently well established in several schools in the United States, and the less structured and challenging process which faculty and students go through in order to complete an outstanding senior thesis. ARTU combines the effectiveness of these two established research settings into one program which in addition provides long term supervision, hence potentially leading to research of a greater depth.

ARTU's Selection Committee composed of myself, Ron Freiwald and Blake Thornton has been, in the past few days, screening applications to select the incoming class of ARTU students. The committee read many files from absolutely excellent applicants, and had to make very difficult choices. The reason we are meeting today is because the committee has made its final decisions, and we would like all of you to join us in this welcome ceremony to congratulate the students selected.

Today I am proud to announce the incoming class of ARTU Research Scholars and ARTU Research Assistants. In January 2014 they will join the current ARTU class consisting of Evan Miller and Benjamin Pollak. Benjamin and Evan have been doing impressive work, as many of you saw from their presentations in our previous meeting, so Evan and Ben, keep up the good work!

The Selection Committee has awarded two types of positions, ARTU Research Scholars,

and ARTU Research Assistants, both selected on a very competitive basis.

ARTU RESEARCH SCHOLAR positions are ARTU's most prestigious positions and enroll the very brightest Washington University students. These students have a distinguished research record in advanced mathematics, and have shown the greatest potential to become leading figures in their fields of study. ARTU Research Scholars have often been the recipient of University and nationwide prestigious scholarships and prizes (such as the Compton Scholar Program and the Goldwater Fellowship), have performed well in nationwide mathematics competitions (such as the Putnam), and are generally recognized by the mathematics faculty to be extremely promising. It is my privilege to announce the new ARTU Research Scholars, in alphabetical order, and their official supervisors. I ask that you stand up when your name is called, and remain standing. Everyone else, hold your applause till all Scholars have been announced.

• Philip Bonneville -- a freshman, who will work with Professor John Shareshian
  • Nati Friedenberg -- a junior, who will work with Professor John Shareshian
  • Anthony Grebe -- a sophomore, who will work with Professor Victor Wickerhauser
  • Patrick Lopatto -- a junior, who will work with Professor Richard Rochberg
  • Alan Talmage -- a junior, who will work with Professor Renato Feres

Please join me now in congratulating these impressive students.

Please be seated.

ARTU also runs a very competitive affiliated program, ARTU RESEARCH ASSISTANTSHIPS. These positions are awarded to students whose mathematical background and experience is less extensive than that of those awarded Research Scholar positions, but who have previous research experience in other disciplines and whose performance in such research is deemed by the committee as very impressive. The academic records of ARTU Research Assistants are of the highest level, and they exhibit strong promise for research in mathematics. It is my privilege to announce the new ARTU Research Assistants, in alphabetical order, and their official supervisors.

As before, I ask that you stand up when your name is called, and remain standing. Everyone else, hold your applause till all ARTU Research Assistant have been announced. The new ARTU Research Assistants are, in alphabetical order:

• Tyler Ellison -- a junior, who will work with Professor Renato Feres
  • Zoe Rehnberg -- a sophomore, who will work with Professor Nan Lin

Please be seated.

I, my executive committee, and the ARTU Faculty have great faith in the potential of these new seven ARTU students, and the current two ARTU students. This is why we chose them. We look forward to seeing them blossom into leading researchers and professional leaders. Their accomplishments to date are a clear indication that this is very likely to happen. I conclude by thanking all of you for your presence here today, and I encourage you to join me in extending our heartfelt congratulations to each and every one of our ARTU students on their acceptance or current participation in the program, while you enjoy some pizza and beverages.

Thank you again for joining us today.