Sarah's Blog

欢迎来到中国!

If you don’t know what that means, don’t worry. I didn’t either when I first stepped off the plane in Shanghai, China. Having been born and raised in America, I hardly knew how to speak Mandarin and couldn’t read Chinese characters at all. I’ve never even been to China or Taiwan (where my parents were born), which is why I was thrilled to have the opportunity to spend a semester studying abroad in Shanghai. Also, as a biochemistry major and premed (surprise!), I couldn’t pass up on the opportunity to shadow doctors in China and compare the two vastly different healthcare systems.  

In just the first two weeks of arriving in China, our WashU crew of twenty two students, along with Dr. Polites and Mu Laoshi, traveled to three cities (Beijing, Xi’an, and Shanghai), toured seventeen amazing locations, and tasted a rich variety of local dishes – some of us even ate scorpions! To keep my friends and family updated, I promised to blog about my time here. Plus, I wanted to write these for myself too – it’s not every day you get a chance to live in a different country! Dr. Polites kindly offered to host these blogs here, so hopefully they can be useful for those of you who are on the fence about joining this program (sign up! you won’t regret it!). I hope to post on a regular basis, so feel free to check in every now and then!  

Thanks for joining me on this amazing journey!

Allow me to begin by introducing my host country to you in a proper manner...

欢迎来到中国!   Welcome to China!

Sarah Chiang
Washington University in St. Louis, Class of 2019
Biochemistry Major